A Secondhand wardrobe – once the reserve of the poor and environmentally conscious- have recently become quite fashionable. There is a growing trend towards secondhand clothes. Admittedly, there are those who are merely jumping on the bandwagon. Nevertheless, it’s high time you took advantage of this growing trend.
Why should you start a secondhand wardrobe?
Because a secondhand wardrobe is cost-effective, it’s better for the environment, and most of all, it’s fun!
All the clothing in your secondhand wardrobe should be there because you felt like it was worth buying. If you didn’t see value or joy in it, then why did you buy it?
You’re bound to find something when you put your time into it. It may take awhile, but you’re sure to find a gem in the pile of preloved clothes that is waiting for someone to love them again.
Here are some suggested places to shop:
- Charity Shops
- Preloved Clothes Shops
- Jumble sales
- Clothing swaps: Clothing swaps can be organised through work, church or friends. You give your unwanted clothes to a friend who organises the event and collects an admission price. The admission price will usually cover the cost of snacks or drinks at the event and that money goes toward paying off a local charity. A clothing swap is enjoyable because you know how much fun everyone will have trying on other people’s clothes! You also get rid of clothes that don’t fit anymore, look right or are no longer appropriate. The best part about clothing swaps is that they’re free!
Or check out the top five places to Shop for a secondhand wardrobe online https://moralfibres.co.uk/five-places-to-shop-for-secondhand-clothes-online/
How Do I Make My Secondhand Wardrobe Fit My Style?
Start with pieces in your wardrobe that you wear consistently, and that you feel good in. That can help you decide what colors, fabrics and styles work for you.
Be clear in what your style is. Make a list, what kind of clothes do you like, what colours suit you? Try creating a mood board of the colours and styles that you like and suit you and stick to that. If you’re not sure, enlist the help of a friend.
Once you have a better idea about your style, it’s time to start buying. Then start adding, one item at a time, to build up your wardrobe.
TIP: Always think about how the clothes will fit into your existing wardrobe.
How Can I Feel Confident Wearing Preloved Clothes?
You used to think of secondhand clothes as something worn by poor people who couldn’t afford anything else? Well, it’s changed! Today, you can get some of the most beautiful, stylish and up-to-date items of clothing in charity shops, and it’s trendy.
A secondhand wardrobe will provide you with clothing that is already broken in and has been worn by someone else. It feels different on your body, but it also makes you feel good about your purchase because you know that it was loved before and it will be loved again. You can feel confident about your appearance in your mirror doors because you know there are people who appreciate the way that you look in the clothing that fits you well.
Here are the 7 top reasons why it actually makes me feel confident to own a secondhand wardrobe
- It’s incredibly affordable
- You’re supporting a charity or small business
- You’ll never run out of new outfits again
- Wearing preloved sustainable fashion makes you feel good about yourself
- It’s better for the environment
- The buzz of finding an awesome piece at a fraction of the new price.
- Its fun!
The advice I have for you is to go out and begin recycling. Start with small changes, such as replacing your new clothes if they’re falling apart or discarding those that are dirty and getting a stain. Experiment with incorporating sustainable fashion into your wardrobe and see how you feel. Before you know it, you’ll be refashioning like the best of them!